Tuesday 12 June 2012

Ironman 70.3 - Training For Wimbleball 2012


I don't recall what it was exactly that made me think it would be a good idea to enter the Wimbleball Half Ironman.  I think maybe the fact it was only 'half' an Ironman... Plus the day last year when I discovered I could run a half marathon (Swindon) with an absolutely steaming hangover..  I was also inspired by my cousin, Simon Holliday, who has already completed a FULL Ironman..  But I think what actually clinched it was looking through the results to see who came last (I didn't want to come last).

What I found was a plethora of absolute geriatrics (!) who seem to regularly complete Ironman distance triathlons, well within the cut off times.



So basically it came down to the fact that if an old woman could do it, I could do it!!

The decision was made, and a ticket purchased (owch - £220!).  I was sure that I would 'find time' to do a full blown, 16 week build up preparation endurance routine, simply by 'taking the long way home from work'.



Cut a long story short, the race is now this Sunday and I haven't done a long run in months!!  Thankfully its not just running.  For the uninitiated, an Ironman 70.3 consists of a:

 - 1.2 mile swim
 - 56 mile bike ride
 - 13.1 mile run

This year, my training has consisted of:

3 SWIMS ( > 400 metres)
All in the last month, 1 in a pool, 2 in lakes.  None were over 1200 metres.

2 BIKE RIDES ( > 15 miles)
48 miles on 27th May, 26 miles on 3rd June

1 RUN  ( > 5 miles)
22nd January - the Gloucester Marathon


I do have a base level of fitness (running / cycling the 4 mile journey to work) so am not overly worried.  Also, after a freezing dip in one particular lake I bought a tri-wetsuit (Foor Quantum), which made a massive difference in my last swim session.

So anyway - I think the point I am trying to make here is.. that you don't need to bust your gut and spend hours and hours training for an Ironman 70.3.

You just need:

 - a decent bike
 - a decent wetsuit
 - base level of fitness (regular cardio)
 - the will to succeed!!

Thats the theory anyway.  Guess we will find out on Sunday!   Watch this space...



If you liked this blog, please SHARE 

No comments:

Post a Comment